Friday, July 15, 2011

Sydney, Australia on July 14th

Here we are in Sydney, Australia!  Tonight, (July 14), we went on a dinner cruise around Sydney Harbor.  We cruised under the Sydney Bridge and by the Opera House….and had dinner as we did all this.  The delegates had a great time as the cruise was catered to them.  We were instructed as we boarded that adults were upstairs and students were downstairs.  They had a deejay who had each table ‘sing for their dinner’… he would play a song, and tables would raise their hand if they wanted to sing that song.  I think it was originally suppose to be one student from the table to sing, but it became performances by people at the table, not just one person! 
Once dinner was finished, the tables and chairs were put away and the dancing began.  We had some students say ‘NO WAY’ were they going to dance….and there were very few who didn’t!  Most all of them seemed to be having the time of their life!  They would go out every once in a while to take pictures of the Opera House or Bridge…or each other…and then go back in to party some more.  At one point, Abby was outside with an enormous grin on her face.  I told her  how beautiful her smile was, and her reply was, ‘I’m just so happy to be here! I can’t believe I AM here!”  I think many felt the same way.
I’ll backtrack now…since it’s been so long since I’ve updated.  I apologize for that,  but this has been the busiest P2P trip I’ve ever been on.  Couple that with expensive internet, and lack of time…and that’s why the lack of updates.  Right now as I write, I’m at the hospital (It’s 1:15 a.m.) with Austin who played a little too aggressive while participating in a rugby game.  This morning, we drove to the outskirts of Sydney where they were instructed how to play Cricket, Rugby, and Australian Rules.  They had a blast…getting quite dirty – or at least, some of them did.  The boys couldn’t tackle the girls…but the girls could tackle the boys…and they did!  One of the guys helping was a member of the National Rugby team.  He was there with 3 of his four sons.  I asked him if his 2 oldest boys play ( they looked to be maybe 9 or 10 and 11 or 12 year olds).  He told me the oldest was in his 2nd season and the next to the oldest in his first.  He told me it’s very dangerous because the Polynesian kids are so big and strong, that the average Australian kids get hurt too much.
After the games, they barbequed hamburgers for us.  The toppings were mustard, tomato sauce, and barbeque sauce…and lettuce, tomatoes, and carmelized onions.  Very tasty.  Many were thrilled to know they could have another ½ a hamburger!
A short shopping trip was next on the agenda…then we were off to Costello’s Opals.  After donning their hardhats, the delegates were led into a ‘mine’ to learn a bit about opals…  We also had an opportunity to purchase some opals – rings, necklaces, pins, etc., - with a discount!  I found a ring I loved for about $3200…it’s still sitting in their case!
We had 40 minutes in another little shopping area…and then we were off to Sydney Harbor and our cruise! 
Tomorrow we leave Sydney after our behind the scenes tour of the Opera House…and head to
Shoal Bay! 
I’m hoping to have better internet…and a little more time to update!  Always remember…no news is usually good news!  My battery is running out of my netbook….so I won’t catch up now…but I will!  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment